9.17.2010

master cleanse, ease-out days 1 to 3: lemons to cookies

We went from strictly


to ... um ...


in the space of three days. I feel slightly guilty, but not really. Seriously, moderation. In one corner, a little salad, veggies and fruit (okay, a lot), and in the other corner, some homemade chocolate chip and peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies. Pure balance. I've never, ever been a calorie counter or kept tabs on my weight so this whole experience has been an experiment in new habits, looking inward (way, way), and coming out the other end about 10 lbs. lighter in the body and a couple pounds of knowledge heavier in the head. Yeah, that doesn't sound so appealing, but you know what I mean. My final weight loss was actually about 13 lbs., but eating again brought it back up quickly. I was glad, actually. My tummy was probably glad too and it didn't get too pissed off as we eased ourselves slowly back into solid food-eating society.

Ease-out day 1: I got up early to make the fresh squeezed orange juice that was supposed to last us all day. The first taste of tangerine pulp was yummy, but not transcendental. Still citrus! Anyway, I pureed orange and tangerine slices with some water and ice cubes and called it brunch. Not a bad way to make OJ, but the skin does make it a bit bitter.

Yeah, this is going to be all about food.

During lunch, B had a revelation: we can get Jamba Juice! They have all-fruit smoothies! And on top of that, there's a buy-one-get-one-free coupon! Mega Mango was it. Admittedly, I did feel a pang of guilt buying this thing because I didn't truly know if there was added refined sugar or whatever. You get a little hesitant after drinking home-squeezed juice concoction for a week and a half. Anyway, it ended being awesome.

I was stuck with this idea to make some kind of all natural Orange Bang at the end of the day because honestly, straight up blended fruit wasn't going to cut it. Needed some soy milk up in there. Vanilla soy milk + banana + orange juice really hit the spot, and started a smoothie craze train that I'm still riding.

At this point, I was super excited about making the vegan vegetable soup. I think I even yelled 'I'm gettin' crackin'!!!' to B as I sprinted to the kitchen. Yeahhh. Warm belly time. I omitted the kidney beans for zucchini because I was afraid they would turn into firecrackers inside our bodies. It even felt good to be cooking again, as much fun as it was to work in our lemonade chem lab. The soup was amazing, eating all the textures, and feeling the hot, herby broth sit in my tummy. (By the way, that watermelon licorice was a free sample offered by the supermarket clerk the evening of Day 10. I took it and smelled it from top to bottom for a minute. You would too.)

Ease-out day 2: I think I've made my bestest smoothie thus far! Chocolate soy milk + banana + peanut butter. Right? Right? So good. Like drinking a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup wrapped in banana or something. The vegetable soup lunch was killer, using dark rye crackers as a 'spoon'. The crunchy, savory, roasty taste was so perfect. My shrunken stomach got stuffed fairly quickly, but later in the afternoon, I decided to get a banana snack from 7-11. Why I decided to buy 1 banana for $0.69, I have no idea, but down it went. This is where it got stuck in a big lump in my mid-section. My stomach was probably confused by this object. It still didn't stop me from having Chinese chicken salad (without chicken) and some roasted potatoes from California Chicken Cafe for dinner. My tastebuds were officially stoked and back in business.

Ease-out day 3: Beach barbeque day. It ended up to be a little too no holds barred. A few bites of citrus marinated chicken, some spicy hot link, two types of cookies I made (because one is not enough), sesame cole slaw, Pop Chips. B tried a can of soda right after I swiftly kicked him on the rear. He was totally put off by how sweet it tasted though. Stanley Burroughs definitely rolled over in his grave. But like I said, moderation. Party mode isn't every day, and anyway, a salad is my type of shindig these upcoming days. Crunch on.

No comments: